Friday, October 5, 2012

The Divine Goodness: A Tree called Sacred (part 3)

image source

Just finishing the poem I started serializing awhile back. It has another ending somewhere in my notebooks and papers, but I can't find it so I wrote a new ending.

It is best to read parts 1 and 2, to make better sense of part 3. 



The Divine Goodness:   A Tree called Sacred



part 1

part 2




Lately, however, I have become bitter.
I stand in full sun in plantations, 
not clinging to the side of mountains, 
shaded by companions, tended by careful hands.  
Barefoot, my caretakers have left for the city, seeking survival.
My canopy gone, the birds no longer visit 
they can’t sing in the chemicals sprayed on my green lungs.
I struggle to keep the velvet brown bean alive within me.  

Good morning.
I am plantation coffee.
Even though I am dressed up in inciting names,
my history erased, I get thrown down the drain.
I sit cold in the bottom of your disposable cup,
stinking like stale coffee breath.
 



1 comment:

Merche Pallarés said...

Yes, it's very sad what's happening to the coffee plantations, for example, in Colombia many have had to recycle into rural hotels as they can no longer survive solely on the coffee production :(
Beautiful poems. Hugs, M.