Thursday, February 19, 2009
Palestine Awareness events @ LU feb27-mar6
1. Palestine Awareness Night
Friday February 27th, 2009
6:30 – 9 pm
Join us for an evening of developing greater understandings of the Palestinian struggle for self-determination. Short presentations start the night; the 2nd half features a Key Note Speech on the historical and contemporary contexts of Palestinian resistance to Israeli occupation.
1. “The Importance of Raising Awareness on Palestine.” Bob Manson
2. “Understanding Crimes against Humanity: the Geneva Convention, genocide tribunals and Israel’s domestic policies on human rights.” Vanessa Lucky
3. “Israeli Media Filters.” Adam Dickerson
4. "Canada & Israel: The Myth of Canada as a human rights state." Josh Kolic
5. “Virtual Palestine: Resources of Resistance.” Web resources on Palestine. Taina Maki Chahal.
Key Note Speech
“Peace and Justice for Palestine: Making Sense of 61 years of struggle.” Walid Chahal
Discussion to follow. Everyone welcome. Free.
2. Palestine Awareness Booth
Tuesday March 3rd
The week of March 1-8 is International Israeli Apartheid Week. On Tuesday, drop by the Palestine Awareness Booth in the Agora. Find out facts about Palestine, education under occupation, Israeli apartheid, and Palestinian human rights. Photo-based artist, Katja Maki, will be exhibiting art as activism.
3. Radio: The Question of Palestine
9 – 10 am Friday March 6
The Josh Kolic Experience Radio Program
CILU Radio 102.7 FM
Listen in Friday morning while Josh Kolic talks with Prof. Walid Chahal about Palestine, from human rights, Israeli apartheid, and media discourses to the role that the US and UK play in the Israeli-Palestine conflict.
All events sponsored by The Human Rights Education Committee. Faculty, students and community members working towards social justice.