Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Montreal in the '50s


When You Give of Yourself. short film by Lynn Stopkewich. 5min46s

Synopsis: Mohammed and Yulanda Faris are generous and devoted patrons of the arts. Through dramatic re-creation, this short documentary captures the spirit of Montreal in the 1950s, the early days of their relationship, and their passion for music and dance. If we all danced more, says Yulanda Faris, we would be happier people.

I stumbled upon this wonderful heart-lifting film on the NFB (National Film Board of Canada) site today. It's one of those charming surprises that remind you, through their own special magic, about beauty, blessings and joy. Watch it; I'm sure you'll love it, too. It's about 5 minutes long.

5 comments:

Merche Pallarés said...

I watched it and found it beautiful! I remember Montreal in the fifties when I first arrived in Canada. I was only ten years old but I remember I loved the city because it was French, and I, coming from Irún, in the Spanish/French border I was used to hearing French so it seemed familiar. However, our last destination was Toronto. Hated it! I had never heard English in my life; it was a very Victorian city at the time with electric cables all around the streets and dirty snow... Awful! Hugs, M.

marja-leena said...

Oh, this really is wonderful, thank you! So interesting to see Montreal in the 50s compared to our recent visit there. Also, the Farises are very well known long time patrons of the arts here in Vancouver. You may know that they received a Governor General's Performing Arts Award recently: http://www.nac-cna.ca/en/news/viewnews.cfm?ID=2085m

northshorewoman said...

hello MP, I'm glad this short film brought you some memories. I liked your images of Toronto in the 50s and your recollection of hearing English for the first time.

Hello ML, I wonder how the filmmaker got those b&w street scenes to look so authentic? It was like the clip is set inside a 50s movie. This couple seem like quite a treasure! I will read the link you sent, thx.

20th Century Woman said...

A lovely, happy film. I have never been to Montreal, but I hope to go someday.

northshorewoman said...

hello 20th C woman, I hope you do visit Montreal one day. It is a beautiful city.