Friday, May 16, 2008

and down will come baby....


At times I feel as if the whole world is a broken bird.

This baby pigeon fell off the 3rd floor alcove onto the roof of the back porch. Its sibling is still up above, nice and cosy; this one's out in the rain. Mother pigeon is confused, doesn't know how to return her baby back up to the nest. Baby can't fly yet. She's right in crow's territory, with no protection. Mother pigeon putters about, looks warily at me. This bird catastrophe happened right outside my window as I was reading about Dr. Mona's walks in Gaza, so very unlike my own privileged walks to the Peace of Wild Things:

"The streets are quiet, just people walking silently with grim faces. My walk is not safe or pleasant because the drones and fighters are in the sky and I can hear bombing and shelling. I don’t enjoy the walk – I feel danger."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear....the baby should be fine if only you can find a way to put it back in the nest. I hope that you can. "Bird by bird" you once said. Maybe you can help fix this sweet little one.

ps, I loved that poem on the post yesterday. That is one to be printed and put on the fridge for a daily read.

Anonymous said...

I guess I am very naive....I know we cannot fix all the wrongs in this world, and reading the news these days is so depressing. How to help?? Try to find that Peace in nature, when and wherever you can. I just want to send out love.....to all the broken ones

northshorewoman said...

After I wrote the post, I leaned out the window and, stretching, I put a small cardboard box on the roof. My son came racing in my room and told me to stop! He said I was interfering with nature and if the baby pigeon falls out and gets attacked by the crow, well, that is how it goes. I left the box. HOwever, this morning I stuck my head out the window and saw the box had blown away in the strong wind. Baby was still there, with mom beside her, but coming back from my hike, I looked out again and the roof is empty.